So, I wanna make a drawbot. While there are any number of draw-bots and art-bots out there, the kind I would really like to make is the kind that suspends a pen or a pen in a carriage on a wall by two wires or cords that are reeled in and out in order to allow the pen to draw across a large sheet of paper hung on a wall. The Der Kritzler, in the video below, is an example of the most recently updated of such projects:
Another great reason to point out the Der Kritzler is that it links to so many other similar resources. The other links below are for similar well documented projects.
- Der Kritzler by Alex Weber
- Drawing machine by Harvey Moon
- AS220 Labs
- Muralizer by Josh Myer
- Drawbot tutorial on Make magazine by Shawn Wallace
- Printball by Benjamin Gaulon
The last one is just a graffiti/painter robot that paints on far off walls by shooting a paintball gun at the surface. It’s really quite awesome. Since several of these people have already actually built drawbots, I’m thinking there must be a reason for not using simpler/cheaper methods for construction.
When I conceive of such a device, I think that the kind I would want would not even need a pen lift, since it would draw in a TSP / traveling salesman problem single-line-art format. The basic common setup is to have two stepper motor, one controlling each string or, as in the case of the Der Kritzler, two toothed belts. However, why wouldn’t someone just use a reel of fishing line, nylon cord, or whatever that is reeled in and out on a spool that is directly connected to the stepper?
Anyhow, it would seem that the project would require an Arduino, two stepper controllers, two stepper motors, a servo motor if pen lifts are required, string, and a bunch of parts that could be printed such as pulleys, gears, carriages, mounts, etc. Now the only thing I have to overcome is my total and complete ignorance when it comes to connecting an Arduino to anything and then, you know, programming it. :)
Sooo… Is this a project that interests you? Or is this a project that holds no interest for you, but the idea of helping with a project interests you? Where should I begin? (I’m guessing buying an Arduino…)
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot, the Adventure Begins
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - Parts Shipped!!!
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot - The Delivery, Part II
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- A nifty little WordPress plugin...
- i find i want to add more posts in some random series, just so i can use my new plugin
- Simple Series WordPress Plugin
- ZOMG! Simple Series is going viral!
- Simple Series with SEO! after just one day
- DrawBot – Pen Selection
- DrawBot – Onwards and Upwards!
- Plugin Considerations
- WordPress Plugin: Easy CC License
- WordPress plugin - OCD Plugin Stats
- Another Drawing Robot!!!
- The biggest inkjet printer ever
- The Eagle Has Landed
- I think I know what I want to draw next...
- Overengineered Bolt Endcaps, Case Holder
- DrawBot - A Tour!
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- A Study of Drawing Robot Pen Holders and Design Considerations
- Drawing Robot Pen Holders, Calligraphy Pens, and Thought Experiments