Simple Series WordPress Plugin

I’ve written a new WordPress plugin specifically designed to let you simply and easily create a series of related posts.  You can download Simple Series here.

What does “Simple Series” do?

Simple Series uses a WordPress shortcode to associate your posts together.  All you have to do is use the same shortcode in all of the posts you want to associate together and the plugin does the rest.  It will automatically find all of the posts with the same shortcode, organize them by publication date, and put them together in a professional and easy to read format.  If you wish to change the format, you can just add your own custom CSS to your theme.

How does “Simple Series” work?

Easy!  Just add the shortcode to each of the posts you want to put in the series.  Inside the shortcode you will need to specify the title for the series.  Like so:

This Is My Series Title
  1. Simple Series WordPress Plugin

What if I add more posts later?

No problem!  The “Simple Series” plugin will always update the series lists in each of your posts whenever you publish a new post.  The newest post will always be added to the series in chronological order, by publication date.  You can see an example of what it looks like here in my own DrawBot series.

I have more questions!

Cool!  Please leave a comment to this post or send me an e-mail!

7 Responses to “Simple Series WordPress Plugin”

1. Terence says:

Hi,

Does it work with, for example, a training series, which is being constantly added to, only the series is written in a number of pages, not posts?

Terence.

@Terence: I’m not sure!! That’s an excellent question! I suspect it would work like that – but I don’t know. I’ll go test it right now.

@Terence: Okay – Nope! It doesn’t work for pages and only works for posts. But, it seems reasonable to extend the plugin’s functionality to work for pages or posts or a combination. I’ll see about updating it!

4. Terence says:

It would be cool if it did!

@Terence: Okay! That change amounted to changing just one little line of code to include ‘pages’ as well as ‘posts.’ I’m working on a few other minor improvements to the plugin and will update the version of WordPress.org as soon as I’m done.

6. [...] I use a FireFox extension that tells me the Google PageRank, Alexa rank, and Complete ranks in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.  What I noticed today is that my main page has a PageRank of 3, but that one page on this site has a PageRank of 6! [...]

7. Terence says:

Got a little problem so I’m hoping the update will cure this as well.

Its adding ALL posts to the series whether I use Simple Series shortcode on them or not.

Bummer. It was going so well and then it just stopped.