- I can export an SVG from Inkscape to a DXF.
- I can import that same DXF into OpenSCAD.
- I can’t render the DXF or extrude it into a solid.
I just can’t seem to make OpenSCAD make heads or tails of that DXF. Is this a problem with the DXF files produced by Inkscape? A little bit of Googling tells me that Inkscape v0.48 (the one I’m using) exports in DXF R13 format which includes features that are not well supported by OpenSCAD. My attempts at finding plugins that will successfully allow Inkscape to expert to DXF R12 format have not been fruitful.
- 3D Models with OpenSCAD on Make uses a toolpath that isn’t available in my version of Inkscape
- DXF R12 exporter, didn’t work for me
- DXF R12 exporter, didn’t work for me either
- Yet another DXF R12 exporter that did not work for me
- Link suggesting that something called “pstoedit” might be helpful in converting SVG’s to DXF R12’s.
- From Photo to Inkscape to DXF to OpenSCAD to MakerBot to Costume Jewelry is an excellent tutorial on the exact toolpath I would like to get working
After MUCH fiddling around I have discovered that the only DXF exporting plugin I can get to work is the one called “Better DXF Output”, NOT to be confused with “Better Better DXF Output.” Unfortunately, I’ve installed so many of these little plugins I no longer recall exactly which combination of them might actually be working for me. I’ll do a little investigation and post a short tutorial on how it’s worked for me.
Edit: I’m 85% certain this is the plugin that worked for me. http://www.bobcookdev.com/inkscape/inkscape-dxf.html