Over the last two days or so I’ve drawn the largest picture yet with my DrawBot. I started it on Friday night and, with numerous pauses and other misadventures, finished it this morning. The drawing is roughly 12″ x 18″ or so. 1 With no apparent rhyme or reason the drawing would pause numerous times. I would estimate about 25 or so. Also, the pen had a difficult time towards the end. I believe this was in part due to the angle of the pen on the drawing surface and the quantity of the ink left. As of this morning I was still using version 1.1.2, but I’m installing version 1.1.4 right now. 2
Here are some additional thoughts:
- In an earlier post I had mentioned I was having stalling problems while drawing. Sandy asked whether I was able to change serial ports to a different one and back again. The answer is “sort of.”
- When there’s a stall, here’s what I do:
- Click “SETUP->SERIAL PORT…“
- Click on some other serial port other than the one I’ve been using
- Disconnect and then immediately reconnect the USB cable from the computer
- Click on the original serial port I had been using
- As soon as the Drawbot reestablishes a connection with the Polargraph controller software, it starts drawing right where it left off
In other words, it’s a nice day to start again.
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – Halp!!! No - seriously, a little help?
- Simple Series WordPress Plugin
- DrawBot – Why are you crying?
- DrawBot – Calibration
- WordPress plugin - OCD Plugin Stats
- Restarting a Stalled DrawBot Drawing
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Overengineered Bolt Endcaps, Case Holder
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- I rolled it up and gave it to a friend before I thought to take a photogram [↩]
- One of Sandy’s latest posts suggests there’s a 1.1.5 available, but I couldn’t find it. [↩]
- The disconnect and reconnection of the USB cable from the computer [↩]