Okay. Confession time.
First, if you have been following along at home, I’m sorry – I have been leading you on a fool’s quest. I did warn you at the outset I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Carry on, don’t worry about me, I’ll go down with this ship.
Second, here’s the actual confession. Despite amazingly detailed directions from Adafruit’s website, I soldered the Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino Kit v1.0 totally totally wrong. I soldered one of the L293D chips into the location for the 74HC595N integrated circuit chip. And I wondered why it didn’t work.
This would completely explain why the shield made a pop noise, why there was the smell of burning, and why one of the L293D chips (which was not an L293D chip AT ALL) was getting super hot while the other was just fine. I just tried to de-solder the L293D chip, but that’s not going to work. I’ve de-soldered a part before, but surface mount parts are MUCH easier to de-solder. 1
At this point my choices are, from wisest to most foolish:
- Abandon all hope and prayer of building a DrawBot. Power down my laptop, unplug my router, take the battery out of my phone and stop inflicting my delirium on the world.
- Order another Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino Kit v1.0, and start again. 2
- Keep trying to de-solder that damned L293D chip, hope and pray I didn’t destroy both the L293D and the 74HC595N, then try to put them in their proper spots.
- Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Who cares that one sad little chip refuses to act like another sad little chip?! More power and brute force will carry the day. If I cannot make this work, I will ride this project straight into HELL! Mu-ah-ha-ha!!!3
I’ve taken a stab at desoldering the L293D, but it just isn’t working. The solder isn’t really coming out. Even if it does, I’m going to have one hellishly ugly board by the end of the day – and I’ve probably already burned out the L293D and/or the 74HC595N.
At this point, I think I’ll opt for #2 above.
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot, the Adventure Begins
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - Parts Shipped!!!
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - The Delivery, Part II
- DrawBot – The Software, Part I (and an existential conversation)
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part IV
- DrawBot – Halp!!! No - seriously, a little help?
- DrawBot – The Face Palm
- A nifty little WordPress plugin...
- i find i want to add more posts in some random series, just so i can use my new plugin
- Simple Series WordPress Plugin
- This is a test of the Simple Series post system... This is only a test
- ZOMG! Simple Series is going viral!
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VI
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VIII
- DrawBot – The Breakdown, Part II
- DrawBot – Printing!
- DrawBot – Why are you crying?
- DrawBot – Calibration
- DrawBot – Pen Selection
- WordPress plugin - OCD Plugin Stats
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- Maze Code + Polargraph?
- I think I know what I want to draw next...
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Building an Arduino Drawing Robot - On The Cheap
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor