Right now there’s a bunch of junk2 in the way so no pictures of the setup for now. My MakerBot – “Bender,” a laptop3 , and a large long cardboard box with a wooden dowel running the length with badly cut cardboard spools holding what was once a 5 pound coil of black ABS4 , a very nearly 5 pound coil of clear PLA5 , and a full pound of white ABS I’ve never used. 678
All of this resides in our living room on an enormous former-library card catalog. For those of you youngsters out there, a library card catalog is the kind of thing you see in the background scenes of Warehouse 13. Imagine a huge chest about four feet tall that has lots of small, deep, drawers. It is what libraries used to use to store information about their collections – an analog database. Frankly, I didn’t realize the one I bought was quite so large. 9 It’s literally big enough for about six identical MakerBot/laptop/plastic coil setups to the one I have. 10 The drawers beneath the area where my Makerbot resides are devoted to tools and spare parts. Right now the surface is covered in a number of unfinished projects and some totally finished projects.
Library card catalogs are super handy and useful ways to incorporate storage and a raised level surface for working. The only problem is that these things are absolutely enormous and way way heavier than they look.
- Mattpr’s MakerBot cart , Tony Buser’s “Tea” #481 [↩]
- FYI, junk = stuff waiting to be made into other, more useful or more amusing stuff. [↩]
- Named Bleys, if you must know. [↩]
- I would guess I’ve used about a pound over the last 8 months. 5 pounds is a LOT of plastic. Dear faithful ABS, oh how I love thee… [↩]
- Polly!!!!!!!!! [↩]
- Though, I have very specific and immediate plans for it. [↩]
- More on this later if you remind me. I have a tendency to get lost in nested footnotes and parenthetical references. [↩]
- Seriously, just imagine what my PHP code looks like. Yikes! [↩]
- Or far away. Or would become so expensive. That’s a story unto itself. [↩]
- I best get printing more MakerBots, no? Hmm… I might have to print more laptops too… [↩]