This post is intended as a set of “guidelines” to creating a parametric design in OpenSCAD.
Last Sunday afternoon was spent working out a parametric design for printable prosthetic fingers. Using the OpenSCAD function “hull” it’s relatively easy to crank out a nifty organic appearing design. Admittedly, you have to have a working knowledge the basic union/difference/intersection function first. However, once you do it’s really quite easy.
The feature of the design I’m most proud of is the “nail” part of the finger tip. I designed the “nail” by using the OpenSCAD function “intersection()” on two cylinders. The little “nubs”1 consist of a small cube, rotated so a corner is pointed straight up combined, with an identically situated cube rotated slightly.
When I’m designing something to be parametric, I usually don’t really start out designing it that way. I first strive to create a form in OpenSCAD that resembles closely the thing I wish to design. Then, I poke through the design code looking for those elements that are related to the design aspects I’m interested in changing based on parameters. Once located, I replace those parts of the design code with variables that can be specified when the module is called. I realize this is kind of a “high level” description of my design process for parametric things, but it’s still the best description.
Since last Sunday I’ve really done a lot with the design. Some simplifying and a lot of improvements. In the next post I’ll go over these features. I’m really excited to show these off. :)
- Possibly Parametric Prosthetics
- Measurements Required for DIY 3D Printed Hand Prosthetics
- Progress on Parametric Printable Prosthetic
- Printable Prosthetics R&D Q&A FAQ: Part 1 - The Questioning
- Printable Prosthetics R&D Q&A FAQ: Part 2 - The Wondering
- Printable Prosthetics R&D Q&A FAQ: Part The Third - The Answering
- Printable Prosthetics Fingers and OpenSCAD Design Tips
- Printable Parametric Prosthetics and OpenSCAD: Parametric Optimization
- Printable Parametric Prosthetics: Design Features
- Printable Prosthetics: A Mock Hand
- Meant to give the finger grip and texture [↩]