While posting about my DrawBot adventures, I’ve become increasingly annoyed with my own post series WordPress plugin. If only it had a simple button in the WordPress editor to drop the shortcode for an existing series, it would instantly become so much better. Thus inspired, I delved into WordPress.org and sought out the answers. What I discovered is that while it’s not particularly difficult to add a button to the WordPress text editor, it didn’t seem to be very well documented. I’m still working on how to add a graphical button to the WordPress TinyMCE visual editor, so stay tuned for that. I was ultimately able to glean the necessary information from the WordPress “Quicktags API. However, for your sake1 I’m distilling what I’ve learned right here.
First, I’ll give you an overview of what we’re going to do. If you’re looking to add a button to the WordPress editor, it’s probably because you’re working on a plugin. Thus, I’ll assume you have a working knowledge of plugin development. Your plugin will need to include, at a bare minimum, one action hook and one function which performs the double duty of creating the button and giving the button some kind of ability.
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - The Plan!
- DrawBot - The Hacks
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot - The Delivery?
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – Halp!!! No - seriously, a little help?
- Now Simple Series will also add the series list to RSS feeds too!
- ZOMG! Simple Series is going viral!
- Simple Series with SEO! after just one day
- DrawBot – Printed Parts
- DrawBot – The Operation, Part I
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VIII
- DrawBot – The Breakdown, Part II
- DrawBot – Printing!
- DrawBot – Pen Selection
- DrawBot – Drawing Success(ish)!!!
- DrawBot – Onwards and Upwards!
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- Excellent DrawBot Slides
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Overengineered Spools
- Overengineered Bolt Endcaps, Case Holder
- Building an Arduino Drawing Robot - On The Cheap
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress editor
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- A Study of Drawing Robot Pen Holders and Design Considerations
- And, frankly, for my own future use [↩]