My RSS feed for Slashdot brought my attention to an article on Slate. The Slashdot summary stated:
This Slate article talks about a single line of code — 10 PRINT CHR$ (205.5 + RND (1)); : GOTO 10 — and how it manages to create a complicated maze without the use of a loop, variables and without very complicated syntax.
Even though that “one line” of code really is two lines and it really does use a loop, that short string of code is still very interesting. While the way the code generates a maze isn’t immediately intuitive, it becomes obvious once you watch a bit of the video above. All that code does is randomly kick out a forward slash or backward slash. Once they wrap around to the next line, they start to form what looks like a maze.
As a little exercise I created something similar using PHP. To make that work I had to use a fair bit of CSS to make it look decent. In any case, it occurred to me that this would be a wonderful project for a Polargraph! Draw a random forward slash or backslash, get to the end of the line and make a bunch more on the return line. How awesome would a huge paper roll of nothing but a giant maze look?
I think I may have found a project cool enough to show off at Maker Faire. :)
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - The Plan!
- DrawBot - The Hacks
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot - The Delivery?
- DrawBot - The Delivery, Part II
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part IV
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- Now Simple Series will also add the series list to RSS feeds too!
- ZOMG! Simple Series is going viral!
- DrawBot – The Operation, Part I
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VIII
- DrawBot – The Breakdown, Part II
- DrawBot – Printing!
- DrawBot – Pen Selection
- Speedier DrawBot Drawings
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- Maze Code + Polargraph?
- DrawBot Aesthetic Re-Design Ideas
- The Eagle Has Landed
- Every Body Needs a Skull
- I think I know what I want to draw next...
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Overengineered Spools
- Overengineered Bolt Endcaps, Case Holder
- Building an Arduino Drawing Robot - On The Cheap
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- A Study of Drawing Robot Pen Holders and Design Considerations
- DrawBot Pen Holder Post Mortem
- Drawing Robot Penmanship
- PlotterBot at Maker Faire Bay Area 2013!