My RSS feed for Slashdot brought my attention to an article on Slate. The Slashdot summary stated:
This Slate article talks about a single line of code — 10 PRINT CHR$ (205.5 + RND (1)); : GOTO 10 — and how it manages to create a complicated maze without the use of a loop, variables and without very complicated syntax.
Even though that “one line” of code really is two lines and it really does use a loop, that short string of code is still very interesting. While the way the code generates a maze isn’t immediately intuitive, it becomes obvious once you watch a bit of the video above. All that code does is randomly kick out a forward slash or backward slash. Once they wrap around to the next line, they start to form what looks like a maze.
As a little exercise I created something similar using PHP. To make that work I had to use a fair bit of CSS to make it look decent. In any case, it occurred to me that this would be a wonderful project for a Polargraph! Draw a random forward slash or backslash, get to the end of the line and make a bunch more on the return line. How awesome would a huge paper roll of nothing but a giant maze look?
I think I may have found a project cool enough to show off at Maker Faire. :)
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot, the Adventure Begins
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - The Breakdown
- DrawBot - Parts Shipped!!!
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part III
- DrawBot – The Software, Part I (and an existential conversation)
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part IV
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part II
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – Design Considerations
- A nifty little WordPress plugin...
- Simple Series WordPress Plugin
- My first published WordPress plugin! Simple Series!
- Simple Series - Half-Life; Market Research
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VI
- DrawBot – Printed Parts
- DrawBot – The Operation, Part I
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VIII
- DrawBot – The Breakdown, Part II
- DrawBot – Printing!
- DrawBot – Why are you crying?
- DrawBot – Calibration
- DrawBot – Pen Selection
- DrawBot – How to Recover from a Stalled Print!
- DrawBot – Onwards and Upwards!
- Plugin Considerations
- TSP FTW!
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- DrawBot Practice Tip: A Watched Pot
- The biggest inkjet printer ever
- Maze Code + Polargraph?
- The Eagle Has Landed
- I think I know what I want to draw next...
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Arduino Powered Drawing Robot Poll
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- Drawing Robot Pen Holders, Calligraphy Pens, and Thought Experiments