If you want to see something that is simultaneously disturbing and ego-inflating, check out the Collusion plugin for FireFox. A friend of mine e-mailed me the link to the LifeHacker post discussing it. If you want to cut to the chase, the link to the Collusion plugin is right here. After web surfing and blogging for about an hour, the little web it’s drawn so far is a little scary.
Over the last two days or so I’ve drawn the largest picture yet with my DrawBot. I started it on Friday night and, with numerous pauses and other misadventures, finished it this morning. The drawing is roughly 12″ x 18″ or so. With no apparent rhyme or reason the drawing would pause numerous times. I would estimate about 25 or so. Also, the pen had a difficult time towards the end. I believe this was in part due to the angle of the pen on the drawing surface and the quantity of the ink left. As of this morning I was still using version 1.1.2, but I’m installing version 1.1.4 right now.
Here are some additional thoughts:
I used to export a copy of the existing queue before doing all of this, and while it is still a very good idea, it doesn’t seem necessary.
This exact process has worked several times in a row without a problem. Interestingly, step number 3 above is critical. If I exclude this step the program crashes.
For this drawing I used a Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V5, extra fine tip, black. I had used a red pen of the same make for a prior drawing and it worked reasonably well.
I’m in the process of designing a new pen gondola. I think something that can angle the pen downwards would help the pen apply ink to the page.
Interestingly, I noticed after about 80% of the drawing was done the pen had a little bit of paper fuzz on it. Once I removed this, the pen seemed to work a lot better.
The pen stopped drawing completely after about 85% of the drawing over all. This was a bit disappointing. However, since I was drawing from the top right to the bottom left and the version of the Polargraph controller I was using allows you to specify which area to start from, I just restarted the same drawing from the bottom right corner and ended up with a very satisfactory result.
- Click “SETUP->SERIAL PORT…“
- Click on some other serial port other than the one I’ve been using
- Disconnect and then immediately reconnect the USB cable from the computer
- Click on the original serial port I had been using
- As soon as the Drawbot reestablishes a connection with the Polargraph controller software, it starts drawing right where it left off
In other words, it’s a nice day to start again.
Posts in the DrawBot Adventure Series
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot, the Adventure Begins
- DrawBots for the slow learner
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - The Breakdown
- DrawBot - Parts Shipped!!!
- DrawBot - The Plan!
- DrawBot - The Hacks
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot - The Delivery?
- DrawBot - The Delivery, Part II
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part III
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part I
- DrawBot – The Software, Part I (and an existential conversation)
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part II
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – Design Considerations
- DrawBot – Halp!!! No - seriously, a little help?
- DrawBot – The Face Palm
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part V
- DrawBot – The Silver Lining of Failure
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part VI
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part V
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VI
- DrawBot – Printed Parts
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VII
- DrawBot – The Operation, Part I
- DrawBot – The Breakdown, Part II
- DrawBot – Printing!
- DrawBot – Printing, Part II
- DrawBot – Why are you crying?
- DrawBot – Calibration
- DrawBot – Pen Selection
- DrawBot – How to Recover from a Stalled Print!
- DrawBot – Drawing Success(ish)!!!
- DrawBot – Onwards and Upwards!
- DrawBot – Another Successful(ish) Drawing!, and an Update
- Restarting a Stalled DrawBot Drawing
- TSP FTW!
- Speedier DrawBot Drawings
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- Excellent DrawBot Slides
- Another Drawing Robot!!!
- DrawBot Practice Tip: A Watched Pot
- The biggest inkjet printer ever
- Why do DrawBots draw on walls?
- All New Polargraph on the way!!!
- Ideas for improving my DrawBot
- DrawBot Aesthetic Re-Design Ideas
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Overengineered Spools
- Overengineered Stepper Motor Mounts, Filament Guides
- Overengineered Bolt Endcaps, Case Holder
- Sourcing DrawBot Parts
- DrawBot - A Tour!
- DrawBot - A Preview
- Arduino Powered Drawing Robot Poll
- Building an Arduino Drawing Robot - On The Cheap
- DrawBot - Printed Parts Tour
- Unidentified Foam Object
- Arduino Powered Drawing Robot - Take 2 (Or 3)
- DrawBot, now ACTUALLY wall mounted!
- A Study of Drawing Robot Pen Holders and Design Considerations
- Drawing Robot Pen Holders, Calligraphy Pens, and Thought Experiments
- Ideal Qualities in a Drawing Robot Pen Holder
- Enough talk! Finally a pen holder!
- DrawBot Pen Holder Post Mortem
- To Maker Faire!!!
- Skipping! How could I forget the skipping?!
- Drawing Robot Penmanship
- PlotterBot at Maker Faire Bay Area 2013!
- PlotterBot.com - a new site dedicated to drawing robots