This afternoon after I got back from a meeting, but before I went back to the office, I stopped off at an office supply store. The local craft/hobby store near work didn’t have any really big rolls of butcher/craft paper – which was very disappointing. Luckily, the office supply store had a slightly larger roll of white paper. 1
I really went there to check out the pens. And, there were a LOT of these pens. An entire side of one large aisle was devoted to pens. However, since this was an office supply store, you could only buy these pens in office supply quantities for office supply amounts. I was not about to drop $20.00 for a five pack of multi-colored pens only to find out that that style of pen just doesn’t work in a near-horizontal drawing robot kung fu grip. I even checked out the pen refills, which were more reasonable – but the selection wasn’t there.
One thing I did while I was there was write down the name of every brand name pen manufacturer I saw. Here’s the list I came up with:
- Paper Mate
- Parker Quink
- Uni ball
While I understand Montblanc and Waterman pens to be on the expensive side, I would gladly pay for a pen that “just worked.” I would point out that the Pigma was no where to be seen at the office supply store. This is a really nice quality art pen and I’m actually surprised I didn’t see any of them when I was at the craft/hobby story yesterday.
One other side note… while at that craft/hobby store I noticed fountain pens. I’ve never tried to write with one, but I did wonder how effective they would be in a nearly horizontal orientation. It could result in some very cool drawing effects.
But, for now I think I’ll focus on robot calibration for the moment while I ponder this move. In the meantime, if you’ve got a pen suggestion, please let me know!
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBots for the slow learner
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - Parts Shipped!!!
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - The Plan!
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot - The Delivery?
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part III
- DrawBot – The Software, Part I (and an existential conversation)
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part IV
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part II
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part IV
- DrawBot – Design Considerations
- Now Simple Series will also add the series list to RSS feeds too!
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part V
- DrawBot – The Operation, Part I
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VIII
- DrawBot – Why are you crying?
- DrawBot – Calibration
- DrawBot – Drawing Success(ish)!!!
- DrawBot – Pen Selection, Part II
- Plugin Considerations
- WordPress Plugin: Easy CC License
- Restarting a Stalled DrawBot Drawing
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- The biggest inkjet printer ever
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Overengineered Stepper Motor Mounts, Filament Guides
- Overengineered Bolt Endcaps, Case Holder
- Building an Arduino Drawing Robot - On The Cheap
- DrawBot - Printed Parts Tour
- DrawBot, now ACTUALLY wall mounted!
- OCD Plugin Stats and the WordPress.org Statistics API
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- A Study of Drawing Robot Pen Holders and Design Considerations
- PlotterBot.com - a new site dedicated to drawing robots
- For slightly cheaper than the craft store too! [↩]