Okay, that was FAST. I ordered the Adafruit motor shield from MakerBot on 1/26/2012 just after midnight and it arrived today a little after noon. That’s about two-and-a-half days for the parts to be packed, shipped, make it from Brooklyn, NY to Oakland, CA and then to my secret robot lair in the Bay Area.1 While at the hardware store today I picked up some small eyescrews and new tips for my soldering iron. Tonight I’ll assemble the board. Again.
I can honestly say that I was mightily tempted to purchase a third motor shield along with this second. However, as I have no immediate designs on a secondary DrawBot2 I’m not ready to admit the possibility of defeat. In the words of Kongorilla, I will not fail.3
Actually, now that I’ve got these new soldering iron tips, I stand a chance of being able to desolder the mis-soldered parts. 4 My old soldering tips were old, tarnished, and somewhat crusty. The soldering tip I’m replacing is all of these things plus it is in the rough shape of a flathead screwdriver. 56
Wish me luck!
- Wanna make a DrawBot?
- DrawBot Resources and Links
- DrawBot, the Adventure Begins
- DrawBot - Parts Ordered!!!
- DrawBot - The Breakdown
- DrawBot - What would you draw?
- DrawBot - The Plan!
- DrawBot - The Hacks
- DrawBot - Giant Unicorn?
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part III
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part II
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part III
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part IV
- This is a test of the Simple Series post system... This is only a test
- Now Simple Series will also add the series list to RSS feeds too!
- ZOMG! Simple Series is going viral!
- DrawBot – The Delivery, Part VI
- DrawBot – The Operation, Part I
- DrawBot – The Assembly, Part VIII
- DrawBot – The Breakdown, Part II
- DrawBot – Printing!
- DrawBot – Printing, Part II
- Restarting a Stalled DrawBot Drawing
- Two new DrawBot links! And an update!
- This project is not going to overengineer itself
- Overengineered Spools
- How to add a custom button to the WordPress Visual TinyMCE Editor
- Skipping! How could I forget the skipping?!
- Delivered, January 28, 2012, 12:09 pm, [SECRET ROBOT LAIR], CA [9XXXX]
- Out for Delivery, January 28, 2012, 8:14 am, [SECRET ROBOT LAIR], CA [9XXXX]
- Sorting Complete, January 28, 2012, 8:04 am, [SECRET ROBOT LAIR], CA [9XXXX]
- Arrival at Post Office, January 28, 2012, 5:17 am, [SECRET ROBOT LAIR], CA [9XXXX]
- Depart USPS Sort Facility, January 28, 2012, OAKLAND, CA 94615
- Processed through USPS Sort Facility, January 28, 2012, 2:26 am, OAKLAND, CA 94615
- Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 27, 2012
- Depart USPS Sort Facility, January 27, 2012, BETHPAGE, NY 11714
- Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, January 26, 2012, 11:40 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714
- Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility, January 26, 2012, 10:25 pm, BROOKLYN, NY 11217
- I’ll want to make sure I can get this first one sorted before I try [↩]
- Actually, that’s a little more bravado than I’m really capable of. If I fail, I fail – I just have no intention of ending at failure. Rather, I’m committing to repeated failures … until I end up with a working DrawBot [↩]
- Gah, why didn’t I pick up a desoldering pump while I was out today?! [↩]
- And chipped, at that. [↩]
- It’s really quite a miracle I got the first board soldered at all in the first place. [↩]