I’ve uploaded my designs for a Dalek cookie cutter to Thingiverse.
I don’t even eat that many cookies. It’s just that these are just fun to design. I realize there’s an SCAD Thing on Thingiverse for creating cookie cutters. However, I’m just not familiar with SCAD and Sketchup with a few key STL plugins is SOOO easy to use.
My design process is essentially:
- Draw silhouette of object in Sketchup
- Use the “Offset” feature to create an outline of the object around the flat silhouette of the object
- Delete the interior outline
- Use the “Push/Pull” feature to raise the outline to about 2cm
- Export as an STL
- Run through NetFabb STL automatic repair
- Upload to Thingiverse with a witty description
- Write a blog post about it
I’ve posted a few times about useful Sketchup plugins, so if you’re getting started with Sketchup and MakerBot that’s a good place to start.